Saturday, April 25, 2009

Digging in the dirt

The garden - not to mention the gloriously unexpected 27C weather today - is giving my crochet habit some stiff competition. I hadn't anticipated how difficult it would be to divide my time between dirt and yarn. I'd forgotten the reckless abandon with which I throw myself at my garden beds and lawn.

Which is why I'm a wee bit late with Friday's motif. And why I'm totally without a motif for Thursday (but I will make up for it - probably tomorrow. I'm too anal not to).

Since the weather lured me out into the backyard to play in the dirt, I thought it only appropriate to make flower motifs from yet another birthday book: Suzann Thompson's Crochet Bouquet ~ Easy Designs for Dozens of Flowers.

And these aren't your grandma's stuffy, doily-esque floral motifs. No, there are some seriously funky flowers in Thompson's book, and some really cute embellishment ideas too.

Take, for example, today's motif: An adorable sunflower that can be left as is (which is what I did - kind of a "before", which means some day soon you can expect the "after"), or embellished with random buttons on the grid, or "seed" part of the flower.

April 25, 2009

It's cute, right? And it will soon be cute as a button...

And then there's yesterday's motif. It's called a "Crazy Eight", and I chose to work the large version and embellish it with a "loopy frill". I could have chosen two kinds of stamens, twirls or a simple outline, but the loopy frill appealed to my sense of whimsy.

April 24, 2009


Plus the loopy frill totally reminded me of the scrunchies of the 80s and 90s.

Cozy. It's all about the cozy.

No comments: