Saturday, January 17, 2009

Stella

Paisley always reminds me of the Grandmother I never knew. She died four years before I was born, so all I know of her I've pieced together from stories lovingly shared by those who knew the whole woman. In life, not just after the fact like me.

She adored peppermint patties and Bing Crosby. She had a quick temper, but was also known to pee herself laughing. She had high blood pressure (a gift she passed down to me), a wicked sense of humour, and a raucous laugh. She never made another scratch lemon pie after Shirrif introduced their instant pie filling. She played piano by ear - the one now sitting in my living room. She asked my Dad to buy her white gloves to wear to the wedding she didn't live to attend. His wedding.

And she had a paisley dress. One that, after all these years, my Mom still keeps in her cedar chest at home. A plain, polyester, blue paisley dress.

That dress, a few pictures, and stories told by those her loved her - that's my Grandma.

January 17, 2009



What I know, I love.

2 comments:

Doodle - said...

That is really stunning!

Scrappy_Lady said...

Very pretty. I bet your Gma is very proud of you.